Friday, November 18, 2011

NYX hd eyeshadow base: swatches and review

Ok can I just first confess my love for this? No, mere confession won't do.. I wanna scream from rooftops how much I love this. The product says eyeshadow base but it's really a primer and also brilliant. The previous eyeshadow base from NYX was a total fail so I was sceptic about buying this but I'm glad I did! I don't have very oily lids but I like wearing a neutral smokey eye to work and when I visit sites or start sweating the eyeshadows crease on me and look like I've drawn some fancy zig zag lines on my lids! Terrible! So I was on the lookout for a nice inexpensive primer that I could wear daily. And I found it, you guys! My holy grail eyeshadow primer if you please.
This comes in a lip gloss like black package with a doe foot applicator. There's only one shade available so you don't have to worry about matching your skin tone to it. This looks buff on application but dries nearly transparent. Quite cheap too, at $5.25 (Rs.265 approx) from BeautyJoint.com for 8g of product.

NYX HD Eyeshadow Base
Ingredients
Doe foot applicator
Dabbed on

Blended out
Eyeshadow without base (on top), with base (below)

After rubbing vigourously with a tissue

Naked eye
Primer dabbed on the eyelid
With base- see how it brightens the eyelid area


So why do I love it so much? Read on..
Yay for:
  • Ease of application. Just dab a few drops on each lid and pat gently to cover eyelid area uptil the brow.
  • Dries and sets quickly but allows enough time to spread. In fact, it dries as you spread it
  • Forms a sort of a thin layer over the eyelid, which smoothes it out
  • Makes eyelids appear brighter
  • Will suit all skin tones
  • Feels very very light. Actually doesn't feel like you have anything at all.
  • Holds colours well
  • Intensifies colours
  • Prevents creasing and fading, even for cream eyeshadows!
  • Sweat and heat proof. Water proof too.
  • Lasts long, really long. I wore this at 6 in the morning one day and it was going strong till I removed it at 5 in the evening. The eyeshadows hadn't even faded a little bit. And that day I had attended a wedding and was basically sweating and running around without A/C.
  • Can be removed easily with any make up remover.
  • Cruelty free. Not tested on animals.
  • Pretty inexpensive. Fantastic value for money.

Boo for:
  • Dries transparent so doesn't really hide any pigmentation. But not a con really coz you can always apply a base over it
  • Packaging isn't efficient as you may not be able to get all the product out since it's a lipgloss type tube and wand may not reach the walls of the container.

Overall, I think this is a must have in every eyeshadow lover's make up kit. It's probably a cheaper dupe for the illustrious Urban Decay Primer Potion but does the job just as well. Cannot recommend enough. Buy it! Now!

You can buy it here. Also available here and here.

Rating: *****

No comments:

Post a Comment